Sunday, June 22, 2008

Secularists need not apply

In January, I felt that there were many reasons I didn't want Barack Obama as the nominee of my party. But the number one was always an unsure embrace of American secularism. More than any serious Democratic candidate that I could remember, Obama always seem ready to throw in with the Republican interpretation that Christians get special treatment in our country. So recently, I read Obama's description of a meeting with evangelical "leaders"...

I opened up the meeting by quoting Ronald Reagan which was saying, I know you can't endorse me, but I endorse you. I endorse the good works that are being done, the wonderful ministries that are taking place all across the country and my goal here is just to have a dialogue to listen, to learn, to share my faith journey and I think people came out of it, not necessarily agreeing with me on every issue, but I think that they recognized that I respected them, I respected their faith, I respected what they're trying to achieve.


Who is "they"? John Hagee's publisher. A man who pushes "therapy" for gays and lesbians. TD Jakes, opulent hustler in the name of God.

Obama is currying favor with the nastiest, vilest shards of American Christianity, and it makes me sick. I hope it's just talk, but I'm not convinced.

No comments: