Friday, October 9, 2009

Senatorial silence on education

I emailed the four Democratic senatorial campaigns the following question a week ago:


Federal law requires that all American public school students demonstrate "proficiency" (as measured by the individual states) in math and English by 2014. Standardized testing in 2008 placed less than 80% of public high school students at those levels in Massachusetts; many states scored much lower.

I would ask you if you believe that all students will reach this goal by 2014, and if not what changes to the law or education policy would you recommend in view of this requirement not being reached.



So far, all I get is utter silence. They want this issue to go away. Cowards.

2 comments:

GGW said...

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the issue will go away.

A USDOE insider was telling me they intend to reauthorize NCLB and will change the 2014 thing.

Quriltai said...

I imagine they'll push back the 2014 date...no way will they reach it by then (or 2054 in my opinion...you can't legislate heterogeneity out of existence). However, I've heard tell on NPR that the votes to re-authorize NCLB will be rather difficult to get.