Monday, September 28, 2009

I'd like to review education in the US Senate race..

...but I can't. Of the five candidates for governor -- Coakley, Capuano, Khazei, Pagliuca, and Brown -- only the Hopele$$ Millionaire mentions education on his website as an issue. He says:

I believe that we have the resources and know-how to ensure that our education system lives up to Senator Kennedy’s dream. My mother was a teacher, and I have tremendous respect for her profession and the many terrific educators around the country that dedicate their lives to preparing our children for success. I intend to vigorously pursue education reform and make it a priority when elected to the United State Senate.

Simply, we need better schools. We have great educators and we have to explore options to grow that pool of talent, by providing teachers clearer goals and better resources. I believe in supporting creative solutions and sponsoring significant investment in educational reform. In Massachusetts, we are seeking a healthy mix of private, charter, and public schools. On the national level, the focus of educational reforms has to be on the students. I would vote for legislation that rewards performance and aptitude in teachers, not just the ability to “teach to a test.” I would approach the question of education reform with the same collaborative and goal-oriented mindset that I have always addressed challenges: seeking advice from labor leaders, educators, and, most importantly, parents and students.

I applaud Education Secretary Arne Duncan’s “Race to the Top” initiative and look forward to supporting similarly innovative solutions. Providing universal pre-kindergarten services is an important step toward closing the gap in opportunity that plagues our education system. Every child deserves a fair start; we owe it to the children of our nation to provide quality, universal education for every child, regardless of their parents’ income.


Translated:

I respect teachers...heck, I'm even related to one.

I'll ask for advice from people. I believe education is about the students, and I'll reward teachers for making education better. Charter schools are good.

Spending money on charter schools is good. Like every living Democrat, I support universal pre-kindergarten. Because education in important.

In case anyone needed further convincing that Pags isn't serious about this...

No comments: